Custom Software Verus Off-The-Shelf Software
This is a question most organizations come up against deciding if building a completely custom software system to handle their business requirements is worth the cost. In the real world, this almost always comes down to a couple of factors time and cost
Here are few bullets to help you decide what route to take.
Choose custom software when:
- You need a highly customized system that suits your business needs and gives you a competitive advantage and off-the-shelf software may not fit the bill.
- You need it to be compatible with other systems, flexible to include any changes that you may need to keep up with change business model or API integrations
- You work with highly sensitive data and security is a concern. Off-the-Shelf systems are often targeted more often because the reward is higher.
- You are looking to increase your efficiency by automating repetitive tasks the software will significantly improve your productivity and reduce cost in future.
Choose commercial off-the-shelf software when:
- Investments for custom software are too high or ROI is not great enough.
- You are a very small organization and there are no plans or opportunities to scale-up.
- No integration requirements or security concerns.
- You are in a hurry.
A few examples of custom software systems:
- The insurance company needed custom software to handle claims quickly during natural disasters.
- Roofing company builts a CRM to handle all of the special business rules in their industry
- A company that sells auto dealerships needed a custom workflow with document signing to get deals done quickly and efficently.